It is no secret that medical treatment, even if it is minor, can be expensive. If you become seriously injured in a rideshare accident, you will most likely have to receive medical treatment and care for your injury. Medical care for serious injuries can be extremely expensive, especially if the care you require is ongoing. The cost of hospitalization, emergency room services, doctor visits, appointments with specialists, rehabilitation, ongoing treatment, surgeries, medication, and other medical expenses related to your rideshare accident can easily and quickly add up.
In the event of an accident, rideshare drivers should call the police and paramedics. From there, drivers should alert their rideshare company that an accident occurred. Rideshare companies, such as Uber and Lyft, carry $1 million in liability insurance and $1 million in uninsured/underinsured insurance for eligible passengers. If a passenger has personal injury protection (PIP) insurance, they will have to file a claim with their insurance provider first before Uber or Lyft’s liability insurance becomes available. In other words, a passenger with personal injury protection will have to exhaust their coverage before Uber or Lyft provides coverage for medical costs.
Typically, personal injury protection covers 80% of medical bills up to $10,000. The rest that is not covered, the 20%, should be paid for by the at-fault party or rideshare company’s policy. However, if damages exceed the coverage outlined under these policies, the passenger can pursue further compensation.
As a rideshare passenger, once your PIP is depleted, or if you do not have PIP coverage, your medical bills and expenses should be paid for by the at-fault party. It is their responsibility to compensate you for your losses and medical treatment. If your rideshare driver was responsible for causing the accident, his or her personal car insurance or the rideshare’s third-party liability policy should pay for your medical bills.
If you are not sure about who is responsible for paying your medical bills, an expert rideshare accident attorney can help you determine liability and advise on the best course of action.