You probably never expected to get in an accident when you stepped into an Uber or Lyft and relied upon the driver to safely get you to your destination. Yet, like so many others in Florida, that’s exactly what happened.
Rideshare services like Uber and Lyft have exploded in popularity over the past several years, and unfortunately, so too have the number of Uber and Lyft-related accidents.
As a passenger, getting injured in an Uber or Lyft vehicle can be both shocking and confusing. This article is designed to provide a brief overview of what to do in the aftermath of an Uber or Lyft accident, and how an experienced attorney can help.
Critical First Steps
- Seek medical care for yourself or any other injured parties. Even if you don’t immediately feel injured, it is wise to see a medical provider who can document the accident and any potential areas of injury. This could prove vital in showing that your injury was indeed caused by the Uber or Lyft accident.
- Call the authorities. While at the scene of the accident, call the police if there has been an injury or any property damage. The officer(s) will arrive at the scene and document the facts of the accident, take statements from the involved parties and witnesses, and provide their opinion of how the accident occurred.
- Capture photos of the scene of the accident. Soon after an accident, evidence at the scene can be removed or destroyed, eliminating a chance to demonstrate how or why the accident occurred, and who was at fault. For this reason, one of the best things you can do is take photos of the vehicles involved in the accident, as well as the surrounding scene, such as traffic lights and signs, road conditions, and intersections.
- Preserve your memory of what occurred by writing down everything you remember about the accident as soon as possible. All too often, people forget important details of the accident, even after only a few days have passed. By putting your account of what happened in words, you will build a stronger Uber or Lyft auto accident claim.
- Don’t talk too much, or sign documents. Before talking with the Uber or Lyft driver, other drivers involved, or the insurance company, talk to an experienced Uber and Lyft rideshare accident attorney first. The same goes for any documents you may be asked to sign. Always consult with an attorney who regularly handles Uber and Lyft rideshare accident claims. This attorney will be able to review the facts of the situation and tell you whether you should pursue a claim against the Uber or Lyft driver, the insurance company, or the other driver(s) involved.
Why Hire A Florida Uber & Lyft Rideshare Accident Attorney?
As an injured Uber or Lyft passenger, finding the best source of compensation isn’t always straightforward, nor is navigating other elements of the case. Without the help of an attorney, you’ll be spending time on your case instead of your physical and mental recovery, which should be prioritized above all else.
Uber and Lyft rideshare accident cases involve many moving parts—usually more than the typical accident between two passenger vehicles. In addition, the laws that pertain to rideshare companies can fluctuate quickly and frequently. As a result, it can be challenging to know whether you’re making the wisest moves, advocating for yourself in the right way, and exercising your rights to the greatest extent.
An experienced attorney can provide you with the peace of mind you need. They can guide you through the insurance claims process, as well as help obtain crucial evidence, such as vehicle monitoring information from the Uber or Lyft vehicle. If this information is requested by an injured passenger, the chances of Uber or Lyft just handing it over are slim; when this information is requested by an attorney, these companies are required to hand it over.
Ultimately, having an attorney by your side will help maximize your compensation, making it easier for you to recover without lingering anxieties, and get back on your feet and on with your life.
At Fenstersheib Law Group, P.A., you will find highly knowledgeable Uber & Lyft rideshare accident attorneys who are eager to consult with you and explain what you’re up against. After a careful examination of the facts of the case, we will let you know whether you have a valid claim on your hands, and if so, we’ll walk you through every step on the path to pursuing it.
We serve many cities throughout Florida, including Miramar, Hollywood, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Orlando, Sarasota, Tampa, and Jacksonville.
Don’t wait any longer to get the compensation you deserve.
Call Fenstersheib Law Group, P.A. today at 800-TELL-ROBERT.